The purpose of the Milton Sports Hall of Fame is to honour outstanding achievement in sports by athletes, sports teams and builders. We do this by inducting athletes, sports teams and builders into the Milton Sports Hall of Fame. The Wall of Fame is currently located in the Milton Sports Centre.
There will not be an election for the Class of 2021. We are now accepting nominations for the Class of 2022. Nominations close April 30, 2022.
Individual athletes who participated in a sport. To be considered for selection in this category, the nominee must have:
- been born in or lived in Milton for a minimum of 5 years
- played in that sport for a minimum of 5 years
- demonstrated outstanding achievement in that sport; or
- displayed above average proficiency in a number of sports over multiple years; or
- through participation in sport(s) brought honour or positive recognition to the Town of Milton; and
- been retired from active, on-field participation in their sport(s) for a period of not less than 3 years; or has reached the age of 50 years.
Two or more athletes competing together as a unit in the same sport. To be considered for selection in this category, the nominee must have:
- participated as a Team in Milton in a sport for a minimum of 5 years; and
- achieved distinction at the local, provincial, national or international level; and
- has been out of active competition in that sport for a minimum of three years or the majority of members on the team have reached the age of 50 years.
Non-athletes, individuals and organizations who contribute to the operation or governance of sport(s), including referees, officials, board members of a sports group or team, sponsors of sports groups or teams, trainers, guides, team executives, helpers, volunteers, coaches, media and others deemed worthy of consideration. To be considered for selection in this category, the nominee must:
- have made an outstanding contribution to building or supporting sport(s) within the Town of Milton for a minimum of 5 years.
- Nominees in the Builder category are eligible at any time. There is no waiting period and the nominee may still be active in the role(s) for which they have been nominated.
- Sport includes "Recognized Sport" defined as being part of a Recognized Provincial Sports Association (PSO), Multisport Organization (MSO), National Sports Organization (NSO) or a ParaSport Foundation (PSF), and non "Recognized Sports" as determined by the MSHOF Board.
- Selection - all levels of sport endeavor, amateur and professional, will be judged alongside each other.
- Waiting periods - any age requirement or waiting period requirement may be reduced at the discretion of the MSHOF Board in the case of exceptional prominence, skill or achievement or for posthumous nominations.
- Nominations - the public and Board Members of the MSHOF may nominate Athletes, Builders, and Teams for consideration for induction into the Milton Sports Hall of Fame; Past and current Board Members are eligible for nomination.
- Commemoration - each newly elected member, "Inductee", of the Milton Sports Hall of Fame will be formally inducted at an Induction Ceremony, preferably annually; nomination packages including career information, pictures and/or other information may be used by the MSHOF for commemoration purposes across multiple media platforms.
- Removal Clause - MSHOF may remove an inductee from the Milton Sports Hall of Fame if the person has been convicted of a criminal offence or in the opinion of the MSHOF, the conduct of the person or team constitutes a significant departure from generally recognized standards of public behaviour which may be seen to undermine the credibility, integrity or relevance of the Milton Sports Hall of Fame or detracts from the original merits upon which the induction was based.